Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Baby Gender Revealed...and Horseshoe Kidneys?!?!?

Well, the verdict is in! We visited with our favorite perinatologist yesterday (Dr. Rowe) and he was right the first time...we are having a GIRL!!!!! Katie seems to be excited and has been giving her "baby siser" kisses and hugs. She even thinks she has a "big siser" in her belly button. She is a little confused...but we have a little time to straighten her out. Other than the gender, the doctor took a close look at all of the baby's organs and limbs and all looks great! He is really excited at how healthy this baby is looking. Her brain, heart, kidneys, tummy, bladder and spine look great. There are no indications of any problems at this point. She even seems to be on the larger side of the measurements...whew! The placenta looks good and healthy as well. Dr. Rowe was really excited to see how great we are all doing, as are we. Baby (working on a name) is REALLY active and we got some great pics. But, the scanner is still giving us problems and I will try to get pics up soon...promise. We are looking at due date of approximately June 20, however we will deliver at least 2 weeks early...so late May, early June.

While the ultrasound tech was looking around, she noticed something unusual with my kidneys. Upon further investigation, she determined that I have horseshoe kidneys. This means that my kidneys are connected, which makes them look like a horseshoe. As I have had no problems thus far in my life, this is not something to be concerned with. However, I will need to have another ultrasound to check it out once the baby is born and things are back to normal in there. My left kidney is seriously out of position due to being connected to the right kidney. Instead of being located in the back part of my body near the spleen...it is closer to the front of my body. Like I said, it has not been a problem yet. However, they want to make sure that it isn't effecting any of my other organs, which is the only concern.

So, overall we had a very productive ultrasound yesterday. All is well and we are very excited to be having another little girl. We are certainly not short on clothes and pink toys, that is for sure!

We will be heading back to Dr. Rowe in 4 weeks for another ultrasound and will also be heading to our regular OB in 2 weeks...so more updates to come. Check back for pics...I will try my best to get them posted.

No comments: